Sunday, April 03, 2011

Of I Desire Mercy, Not Sacrifice

Just thought of jotting down something quick that has made a deep impression on my mind the past two days. For those who didn't know, the title for this post is from a Bible verse .. Mathew 9:13 But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners

As I reflected on how I have committed sins and made mistakes, and my pleas for His mercy and compassion, I begin to have an inkling of the meaning on that verse.
Compassion and not judgment. Compassion for the lost, the harassed, and the hurt.
Matthew 7:1"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

I am still very very far from being compassionate to people and it's still a long journey.
Regardless .. this is something that I have been taught in the last two days.

*Update*
I read this a C.S. Lewis book which I thought appropriate to be included in this self-reminder...
"I know all about the despair of overcoming chronic temptations. It is not serious, provided self-offended petulance, annoyance at breaking records, impatience etc. don't get the upper hand. No amount of falls will really undo us if we keep on picking ourselves up each time. We shall of course be very muddy and tattered children by the time we reach home, but the bathrooms are all ready, the towels put out, and the clean clothes in the airing cupboard. The only fatal thing is to lose one's temper and give it up. It is when we notice the dirt that God is most present in us; it is the very sign of His presence."

*As for the 20 million and 10 years question I asked you, I'll write what I'm going to do soon. Updates later

No comments: